Friday, November 30, 2007

NYTimes: Top Ten of 2007

The New York Times Book Review has announced its top 10 books for 2007. Luckily, one of the few fiction books I read for pleasure this year is on the list: Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. I didn't read it for bragging rights, but since I have the opportunity...why not? I also happened to think that it was a terrific book--especially for those that experienced the boom/bust cycle of the 90's first hand.

BTW: Notice how the page edges in the NY Times illustration are inscribed with the article's headline? This graphic technique seemed a little familiar to me. Then I remembered that Martha Stewart Magazine did something similar in its "Good Things" section earlier this year.

Although the techniques are alike, I love how different they are in execution. The NYTimes version is brainy and hurried looking, while the Martha Stewart version is pretty and so meticulously crafted. Good examples, I think, of how graphics can reinforce a publication's editorial voice.

No comments: